Made this last night and it was great.
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup chopped sweet red pepper
Ό cup chopped green pepper
Ό cup chopped celery
Ό cup chopped onion
2 (or more) garlic cloves, minced
Ό pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 pound lean ground beef
1 can (14½ ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
½ cup water
Ό teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon black pepper
Hot cooked spaghetti
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In a large skillet, melt butter and cook the peppers, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Remove from skillet. Place in a medium pot.
2. Add the mushrooms to the skillet; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from skillet. Add to the pot.
4. Add the beef to the skillet. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Add to the pot.
5. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, thyme, sugar, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often.
6. Serve sauce over spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Yield: 4 cups.