4911 Topics
47005 Posts

Max Online: 1455 @ 05/04/17 04:22 AM
Topic Options
#36749 - 02/18/14 08:09 PM New member, Introducing myself
RROD Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Deville, Louisiana
Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself to the crappie forum. I am in central Louisiana in the Saline/Larto complex area. We do a lot of white perch fishing there. Hope to here from some members on thier experiences.

#36750 - 02/18/14 09:22 PM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: RROD]
LFF Staff Offline

Welcome to the LFF!

#36753 - 02/19/14 05:31 AM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: LFF Staff]
lakewaydr50 Offline

Loc: East Texas
RROD good to here from you and welcome aboard. I fished Larto quiet a bit growing up. My uncle had a camp on the lake. We caught lots of white perch, catfish, bluegills, and white bass out of that lake and surrounding waters.......
Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

#36758 - 02/19/14 11:34 AM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: RROD]
mitzbob Offline
LFF Captain

Loc: shreveport
Welcome

#36761 - 02/19/14 10:35 PM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: lakewaydr50]
RROD Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: lakewaydr50
RROD good to here from you and welcome aboard. I fished Larto quiet a bit growing up. My uncle had a camp on the lake. We caught lots of white perch, catfish, bluegills, and white bass out of that lake and surrounding waters.......

Been fishing around the Buzzard Roost, Youngbloods area latelyas thats where the fish seem to be. I come from the opposite side of the complex. Put in at Woodsons landing in Big Creek. I fished Saline lake as a kid. That was the hot spot back then. Now I just pass on through it mostly, going on to Ski Point and Larto area. Mostly during the summer though, I fish Big Creek.

#36762 - 02/19/14 10:37 PM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: mitzbob]
RROD Offline
Outdoorsman

Interesting sig..........

#36784 - 02/22/14 08:20 AM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: RROD]
lakewaydr50 Offline

RROD we fished Saline Lake a lot but quit fishing it and Larto when the soybean boom hit the area.......It got so muddy from the silt run off I think the fish either died or went elsewhere......I just remember being able to go down there as a kid and catching limits on almost every species down there in the spring time. We went down to the regulation dam; at the south west end of Larto I believe, and caught 450+ white bass fishing from the bank in one morning. That place was insanely good back then. I've always wanted to come down and try it for largemouth bass but haven't got there yet..........oh and back in the 73 flood when the water came back down off the road going to my uncle's camp my family picked up big red crawfish crawling across the road to get back in the lake. You could walk just a very short distance and pick up a 5 gallon bucket full.......I haven't been on or near Larto in 30 years but plan to go as soon as I move back to Louisiana......I live in Texas now......
Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

#36805 - 02/24/14 10:12 PM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: lakewaydr50]
RROD Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: lakewaydr50
RROD we fished Saline Lake a lot but quit fishing it and Larto when the soybean boom hit the area.......It got so muddy from the silt run off I think the fish either died or went elsewhere......I just remember being able to go down there as a kid and catching limits on almost every species down there in the spring time. We went down to the regulation dam; at the south west end of Larto I believe, and caught 450+ white bass fishing from the bank in one morning. That place was insanely good back then. I've always wanted to come down and try it for largemouth bass but haven't got there yet..........oh and back in the 73 flood when the water came back down off the road going to my uncle's camp my family picked up big red crawfish crawling across the road to get back in the lake. You could walk just a very short distance and pick up a 5 gallon bucket full.......I haven't been on or near Larto in 30 years but plan to go as soon as I move back to Louisiana......I live in Texas now......

Yep, I remember those dark days........the entire complex went to chit. But I also remember the days when cars were backed up to the highway, waiting in line to put thier little flat bottom boats in over here at Woodsons Landing. I remeber we would start out at daybreak and by 11:30 am we were headed back in with a full ice chest of perch. I remember bream fishing and running out of crickets or worms, we found some newspaper in the boat and made little balls and kept catching bream on newspaper balls. Well the complex has recovered pretty decent. It's by no means the heyday it used to be, but you can still catch an ice chest of fish if you know the spots and follow the fish. Remember the "Christmas Tree" out in the middle of Saline Lake? It's no loner there and all the stump fields aroung big point is pretty much gone, but sometimes you can find perch around there still. I mostly fish the creek now and will make a run from Woodsons to Larto, buzzard roost or ski point if the fish are there. Bass fishing has been better than white perch this year though. It's been a wierd off year. I'll be fishing a fairly big bass tournament this weekend, then it's back to perch and at the end of March we will be having a "Sac-a-Lait" tournament, which I am in as well. Oh ya, I was around for the 73 floods too. Had to help my grandparents move from their home here at Woodsons, loading furniture in my 12 foot flat bottom, walking it through the water to the truck up the road. What a mess that was. If you get down or over this way, let me know. I'll be happy to take you on a fishin trip.

#36810 - 02/25/14 05:29 AM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: RROD]
lakewaydr50 Offline

RROD the 73 flood put 3 inches of water in my uncle's camp. His camp was built about mid lake and is on 14 foot high poles......that was an incredible flood....

#36816 - 02/25/14 02:06 PM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: lakewaydr50]
RROD Offline
Outdoorsman

My grandparents home (fomally thier camp remodeled into thier retirement home) had about 3-4 feet of water in it. I am still taken back everytime I go by the old place that during that flood we ran boats down the road in 3 or 4 feet of water. Now I have a camp down there as well, but it is located above the 73 flood zone, about 1/4 mile from Woodsons. Amazingly now, there a quite a few "High Dollar" camps out there at Larto now and to be honest don't really look like there are as high as your uncle's camp was. It is a really nice area there I and when I can, I usually stop at the Larto store to grab a bite while I am fishing out that way.

#36824 - 02/25/14 08:31 PM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: RROD]
lakewaydr50 Offline

I looked at a map and his place was probably 3102 right around Noble Wiley Road. The reason I say that is we used to take a bait seine and go down to those brakes sloes behind his place and catch bait for our trotlines. That's the only place on the map I saw any bodies of water just off of 3102 and that is about mid lake and his place was just about mid lake where it forks.......He sold it a while back in favor of his other place on the Ouachita River @ Harrisonburg......

#36836 - 02/27/14 10:06 AM Re: New member, Introducing myself [Re: RROD]
RROD Offline
Outdoorsman

I go on by your old place most of the time I go to Larto, on the way to the store for some eats. The store is about 1/4 mile past your old place heading back towards the back.

We tend to fish the other side of the island more, or out in the open area before the island. Right now, most of the deepwater fishing is done just before Larto over by the Buzzard Roost area. I am pretty much done with that now. As the water starts to warm up, I'll be fishing the creek over on my side.

© 2011-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide