SR025 1041
Forum Stats
1900 Members
32 Forums
4911 Topics
47005 Posts

Max Online: 1455 @ 05/04/17 04:22 AM
Topic Options
#36142 - 01/04/14 09:41 AM Just thought I'd share this about my Dad.........
lakewaydr50 Offline

Loc: East Texas
I originally posted this story on a thread that Earnest Paty started on TFF back in 2011, I just had to go look it up again:
Ernest posted on the Texas forum a post called "remember when" I refers back to the way things were in the 60's for the most part...this is my reply.. what he posted took me back to the days of me and my dad fishing together in north Louisiana. Dad's been gone since 2007, but he will always be my fishing buddy...
Ernest I can remember all of that...I can remember if you had a 14 foot jon boat with a 9.8 or 9.9 hp outboard, that was like having a 20 foot plus bass boat with a 250 to 300 hp motor today. Didn't have a trolling motor, sat at the front seat and used a paddle to get around. If you had a boat cushion to sit on you could fish comfortably all day long....We ate Vienna sausage, sardines and crackers, and potted meat for lunch. In order to save on space we carried one ice chest and it held our "cokes" but it also doubled as cold storage for our fish so most of the soda pop I drank had a fish flavor to it. Sometimes dad would remember to get a fish stringer and the "cokes" didn't taste like fish that day. Dad didn't haul his rig on a trailer, but rather had a boat rack on his pickup and a bracket bolted on the inside of the bed to hang his 5 hp Sea King outboard. We would frequently fish two or three lakes, rivers, or bayous in a day because in north Louisiana you could pull out of one body of water, drive a couple of miles and be in totally different body of water in a matter of a few minutes. We fished with cane poles and just before I became a teenager dad finally broke down and bought us rod and reel combos, Zebco's; a 33 and a 202. I thought I was Bill Dance when that happened. Your story brought back a lot of memories....Thanks for writing......

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

#36501 - 01/26/14 07:38 AM Re: Just thought I'd share this about my Dad......... [Re: lakewaydr50]
DooDooWayne Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: up to my neck in doo doo
Originally Posted By: lakewaydr50
I originally posted this story on a thread that Earnest Paty started on TFF back in 2011, I just had to go look it up again:
Ernest posted on the Texas forum a post called "remember when" I refers back to the way things were in the 60's for the most part...this is my reply.. what he posted took me back to the days of me and my dad fishing together in north Louisiana. Dad's been gone since 2007, but he will always be my fishing buddy...
Ernest I can remember all of that...I can remember if you had a 14 foot jon boat with a 9.8 or 9.9 hp outboard, that was like having a 20 foot plus bass boat with a 250 to 300 hp motor today. Didn't have a trolling motor, sat at the front seat and used a paddle to get around. If you had a boat cushion to sit on you could fish comfortably all day long....We ate Vienna sausage, sardines and crackers, and potted meat for lunch. In order to save on space we carried one ice chest and it held our "cokes" but it also doubled as cold storage for our fish so most of the soda pop I drank had a fish flavor to it. Sometimes dad would remember to get a fish stringer and the "cokes" didn't taste like fish that day. Dad didn't haul his rig on a trailer, but rather had a boat rack on his pickup and a bracket bolted on the inside of the bed to hang his 5 hp Sea King outboard. We would frequently fish two or three lakes, rivers, or bayous in a day because in north Louisiana you could pull out of one body of water, drive a couple of miles and be in totally different body of water in a matter of a few minutes. We fished with cane poles and just before I became a teenager dad finally broke down and bought us rod and reel combos, Zebco's; a 33 and a 202. I thought I was Bill Dance when that happened. Your story brought back a lot of memories....Thanks for writing......

Yes sir, those were great times.

© 2011-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide