4911 Topics
47005 Posts

Max Online: 1455 @ 05/04/17 04:22 AM
Topic Options
#36114 - 01/03/14 06:09 PM How about some bream fishing
DooDooWayne Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: up to my neck in doo doo
Got some fairly large sunfish on my place, 10" or better. Anybody else like to fish for them?

#36137 - 01/04/14 09:01 AM Re: How about some bream fishing [Re: DooDooWayne]
lakewaydr50 Offline

Loc: East Texas
Wayne my dad was probably one of the greatest bluegill fisherman to ever draw a breath. We used to go and buy crickets; literally by the thousands, @ Armstrong Cricket Farm in West Monroe to go after these fish. He fished for them when they were spawning and were bedded up in the shallows and catch them by the 100's. We fished all of the Mississippi River oxbow lakes from Lake Providence down to Lake Bruin. Larto Lake south of Jonesville, Turkey Creek Lake near Columbia, and just before I moved to Texas we were terrorizing them on Caney near Jonesboro quiet heavily. I even got into them hot and heavy in some of the oxbows around Monroe on the Ouachita, even though I'm a die hard bass fisherman I still feel the urge to go after some bream in the spring. When I get back to Louisiana I'll be going after them again but this time I'm going to buy myself one of those drum style fish descalers. The one thing I hated about catching these fish was having to clean them all. We frequently would get home just before dark and clean fish to well after midnight......Mosquitos love it when you do that.........I lost my dad back in 2006 due to complications from an automobile accident, I just wonder what it is going to be like sitting in a boat fishing and him not being on the other end.......

Edited by lakewaydr50 (01/04/14 09:25 AM)
Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

#36225 - 01/07/14 04:35 PM Re: How about some bream fishing [Re: DooDooWayne]
mitzbob Offline
LFF Captain

Loc: shreveport
Bucket of crickets and a ultra light rod in the spring. But cleaning a cooler full is work. My wife is a hairstylist and she can fillet a bream like a champ. Her family has a pond north of black lake in ashland, it has become tradition with my girls to load up the freezer with fish. They LOVE knowing they provided food for tbe family when we fry some up. Fish sandwiches the next day, great googly moogly!!!

#36422 - 01/19/14 05:58 PM Re: How about some bream fishing [Re: mitzbob]
lakewaydr50 Offline

Loc: East Texas
Mitz, I guess the thing that I remember the most fishing with my dad and catching blue gills was when he bought land and built our family a camp on Caney, right after he got that started I talked him into going down to Doug Letsinger's Marine in Monroe to buy himself a bass boat. He bought a brand new Pro 17 Basstracker aluminum rig. He had never used a boat with a livewell and when the bedding run began that spring we wore them out like we always had done before. I filled the livewell with water a turned the aerator pump on and we started putting our bluegills in it. After about a couple of hours fishing we had it jam packed and were still catching them. We realized when we opened the lids to the livewell we were hearing the water splash around the boat every time we put a fish in. I finally realized what was happening and we had a good laugh about it and kept fishing. Some of the fish realized that when we opened the lids they could jump out and they were leaping all the way to freedom. We started putting our fish in by yanking the lid open and slamming it shut as fast as we could. We had a lot of cool adventures on that lake like that, I guess that is the main reason I want to retire and move there when I'm done out here in Texas.........

Edited by lakewaydr50 (01/19/14 06:01 PM)
Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

#36500 - 01/26/14 07:36 AM Re: How about some bream fishing [Re: lakewaydr50]
DooDooWayne Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: up to my neck in doo doo
Originally Posted By: lakewaydr50
Wayne my dad was probably one of the greatest bluegill fisherman to ever draw a breath. We used to go and buy crickets; literally by the thousands, @ Armstrong Cricket Farm in West Monroe to go after these fish. He fished for them when they were spawning and were bedded up in the shallows and catch them by the 100's. We fished all of the Mississippi River oxbow lakes from Lake Providence down to Lake Bruin. Larto Lake south of Jonesville, Turkey Creek Lake near Columbia, and just before I moved to Texas we were terrorizing them on Caney near Jonesboro quiet heavily. I even got into them hot and heavy in some of the oxbows around Monroe on the Ouachita, even though I'm a die hard bass fisherman I still feel the urge to go after some bream in the spring. When I get back to Louisiana I'll be going after them again but this time I'm going to buy myself one of those drum style fish descalers. The one thing I hated about catching these fish was having to clean them all. We frequently would get home just before dark and clean fish to well after midnight......Mosquitos love it when you do that.........I lost my dad back in 2006 due to complications from an automobile accident, I just wonder what it is going to be like sitting in a boat fishing and him not being on the other end.......

My Dad also started my fishing on bluegill, cane pole, crickets or worms. Man brings back some good memories, I lost my dad in 1990, and I really miss him.

© 2011-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide